Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Riddle 06


The sound of pouring was all that he could be heard in Cheri's kitchen. Steam rose up from the liquid, which happened to be a cheap brand of tea. The only ones in the room were Cheri and I, the boy who we found at the hospital was up in Cheri's room; handcuffed.



"Why did we bring him back again?"

"He is the only witness we have, and possibly the only witness to the whole crime at all."

"There are two flaws to your plan: One, He doesn't remember shit. And two, won't the police want him,
I mean as you said he may be the only witness."

"Doesn't matter, but what does concern me is the fact that you don't have any doubts that he is telling the truth about his memory."

"He was trapped under a crate, and he is just a kid. I think we can let this one slide."

Cheri just nodded at that. The tea and T.V. dinner was ready so we brought it up to her room. In said
room was the boy, who was in the exactly same spot we left him in. Cheri set the food and drink down in front of him. The boy looked up, a look of apathy on his face

"Food?"

"Here you go."

"Thank you..." he barely managed to speak.

He the began to stuff his face with the dinner, pausing only to take sips of tea. I glanced over at Cheri,
only to see a professional poker face on her visage. I looked back at the boy, and my eyes widened. He
had finished all the food and tea in front of him in record time! I decided to inquire about this.

"You have quite an appetite..."

" I can't remember when I last ate."

Cheri decided to end the same talk and start the interrogation, while I got out some water from my
backpack and started to drink.

"Is there anything you remember?"

"Yes. A secret so dire that I can only tell two other people on this earth."

"What could you possibly remember?"

"One thing, Nazo."

Cheri moved her head over to look at me and asked me a question with her eyes. What language is 
that? I mouthed back, Japanese. She nodded and turned back to the boy.

"Is that your name?"

"No, I currently am not in the possession of a name."

"Then what is it?"

He leaned in, and Cheri and I followed his example.

"I have absolutely no idea"

My face hit the floor in exasperation, and I heard laughing from the boy.

"Well if it doesn't mean anything we're going to call you that, also because it sounds really stupid."

"Fine fine whatever. You can call me that, at least until I remember my name."

"Anything else?" asked Cheri. The newly dubbed Nazo responded.

"...What?"

"Do you remember anything else?" Cheri all but shouted.

"No, I'm sorry but I do not remember anything else."

I frowned and leaned over next to her and whispered in her ear.

"Calm down please, I know that it can be troublesome to deal with an amnesiac but we need to do this
if we're going to get anywhere on this case."

Cheri then stood up and bolted out of the room. I looked at Nazo to see a rather confused face.

"Did I do something wrong?"

"No you didn't, just sit here for a bit please."

He nodded as I left the room. Outside the room and down the hall a bit was a girl with flowing midnight
hair,softly leaning her head against the wall. Her aforementioned silky hair was obscuring her face.

"Angst much?"

I got an exasperated groan in response, so I decided to try a different approach.

"Alright, what is it that's troubling you?"

For a while she just stayed silent, just as I was about to say something else,anything to break the
silence, she finally spoke up.

"This is our first case, and I was a bit nervous to start out with something as big as genocide..."

"Then why not chose an easier case?"

"Because I thought if we could figure out this case, then we could do any case..."

"But...?"

"But then we find this boy, Nazo, down in the hospital. I thought all my dreams had come true. The only
witness to this huge crime..."

"But he doesn't know anything, and now that you have him you can't just leave him. You had two
paths, observe and copy the police, or go off and investigate in a scene that they haven't."

"I guess…"

"Then we'll just skip this case."

Rapid blinking then commenced.

"What?"

"The police are on this case, they can take care of it. We could spend our energy on finding out who this
kid Nazo is, and just attempt the next case that you find."

"You know, you aren't that bad of a Holmes."

"I'm not good enough."

She turned her head to the side to look at me questioningly; her eyes and face red.

"And why not?"

"Well... I figure if we're going to create the greatest detective agency of all time ever, we will need a
very good Holmes."
She looked away again.

"Yeah... I suppose so..."

"Now come on, we got people to question and police networks to hack."

She had a smile on her face by now. Cheri moved her head off the wall and started to walk towards me.

When she got right in front of me she enveloped me in a hug. We stood like that for a good ten
seconds. When we broke apart she had an ear to ear grin on her face. As we walked back I only had 
one thought ring through my mind.

What the hell just happened here?...

No comments:

Post a Comment