Sunday, September 18, 2011

Riddle 04


My eyes cracked open, leaving me with quite a feast for my eyes. I looked away from the beautiful sight.

I didn't know it was possible to wriggle out your clothes like that when you were asleep. I got up and put the covers over her, shielding her from my gaze. I looked down to see that I was still wearing my dark red t-shirt and my black track pants. Then I stretched and yawn, then walked over to pick up my bag from the ground. I did inventory, and as usual everything was there. I heard a yawn from behind me, so I turned around to find a rather awake girl. Her glasses were crooked on her face, and she looked completely out of it.



"Good morning Sunshine!" My cheerful greetings didn't seem to faze her, as she just looked down at her state of dress. I started to explain.

"T-that wasn't my fault, you did that on your own..." My argument sounded as weak as it was. She shook it of with trademark grace.

"I know, sometimes I just... you know..."

"Yeah yeah..."

An awkward silence descended on the room, and we just sat where we where. At least that's what I was doing, she was waking up and getting ready for the day. Cheri got up, and walked over to her dresser, and motioned for me to turn around. Taking the hint, I did so and tried to start some small talk.

"So, what are our plans for this lovely weekend?"

For a while she didn't respond, only the rustling of clothes told me that she was still awake.

"We will see..."

She said as she walked past me. Cheri was clad in a rather short black skirt, similar to the one she wore to the chess match. Since I was still sitting down when she walked past, I could attest that she did have matching underwear. She was also wearing a gray tank top and black tights. Cheri sat down at her black desk, and booted up her laptop. From where I was sitting, I couldn't really see her background, though I assumed the color black was involved somehow. It wasn't until a few minutes later that she opened a rather suspicious looking window on her laptop. After a few seconds of keyboard clattering Cheri gasped in surprise.

"What? What is it?" I asked, curious to what could get HER of all people surprised.

"We got our first case."

"But I only joined you agency last night, who could have possibly asked for our help?"

She got up and started getting ready to go out.

"No one did, my dad is the chief of police, so I hacked his account to look for cases..."

My jaw dropped.

"Isn't that illegal?"

"So? He's not gonna arrest me."

"But still, why?"

"Because we need practice, and right now the best way to do that is with someone else on the case
who can still solve it even if we don't."

Cheri grabbed a black hoodie and put it on; she left it unzipped. I grabbed my bag and followed her out the door. Outside, she showed me her bike. She looked at me expectantly.

"Where are we going?"

"St. Johns hospital."

"Isn't that the mental hospital?"

"I believe so"

"More importantly, isn't that something around 15 miles away from here?

"Something like that."

"And you're expecting me to tide the bike, with you on it, all the way there."

"Won't speaking make you run out of breath faster?"

I grumbled, but dutifully got on the bike seat. Cheri smiled and got on the handlebars. I started pedaling according to her directions. She apparently was content with me not knowing why we were going there. She just gave me left/right directions whenever they were necessary, as her phone was the only reliable way to know how to get there. After a while I asked a rather basic question.

"Why are we going there?"

Her smile seemed to dim a bit.

"To investigate something..."

"What?"

Now her smile was definitely dimmed.

"Genocide."

No comments:

Post a Comment